New Anime Brew: Santa Company
Date Released: October 25, 2014 at TIFF
Genre: Fantasy, Christmas, Santa
Age Range: 3+
Runtime: 28 Minutes
Director: Kenji Itoso
– Other work from Kenji Itoso:
- Kotonakare Hero Gingerman (T.V. Series)
- Yume-Miru Kikai (Movie)
Music: Yūsuke Itagaki
– Other musical works from Yūsuke Itagaki:
- Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (T.V. Series) OP & ED
- Kotonakare Hero Gingerman (T.V. Series) Sound Production
Productions: KENJI STUDIO & Nexus
Other Media Chronology:
-Lite Novel: Santa – Company Present Battle! ; Written by Naohiro Fukushima & Kenji Itoso; Published by Poplar Publishing; One shot, November 08, 2012.
-Story book (came with movie).
Licensed by KENJI STUDIO (Localized Import).
To buy Santa Company please click this sentence.
Noel White is the last among her friends to graduate from being a trainee at Santa Company and has to get her blank green arm band to shine the Santa Company emblem before the end of the night. If she doesn’t succeed, Noel will be kicked out of the company. After seeing the riders fly off, Noel and her trio of friends discovers a person delivering a late letter to Noel’s dad which according to him is just a present that’s not possible to deliver at this time.
Noel and friends secretly scheme and take on this challenge at the risk of Noel residency.
Name: Noel White
Personality: Happy, cheerful, and daring.
Role: Main character, Tonttu trainee of the present section, Daughter of Nicolas, and works in the gift department
Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese)
- Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (T.V. Series) 9th ED
- Kyōran Kazoku Nikki (T.V. Series) 1st ED
- The Qwaser of Stigmata (T.V. Series) ED
- Astarotte’s Toy (T.V. Series) Griselda “Zelda” Reginhard
- Bakuman (Series) Aiko Iwase
- Bartender (T.V. Series) Miwa Kurushima
- Danchi Tomoo (T.V. Series) Keiko Kamakura
- Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Series) Striker
- Hanamaru Kindergarten (T.V. Series) Ryōta
- Hayate the Combat Butler (Series) Chiharu Harukaze
- Lagrange, The Flower of Rin-ne (Series) Ayane Iwa & Haruka Uehara
- Kyōran Kazoku Nikki (T.V. Series) Kyōka Midarezaki
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (Series) Kneesocks & others
- The Qwaser of Stigmata (Series) Mafuyu Oribe
- Rage of Bahamut: Genesis (T.V. Series) Gabriel
- Slap Up Party: Arad Senki (T.V. Series) Ophelia
- Squid Girl (Series) Eiko Aizawa
Name: Mint Rondo
Personality: Shy, naïve, and caring
Role: Main character, Sister of Pedro, has a crush on Thomas, and works in the present section
Haruka Tomatsu (Japanese)
- Cat Planet Cuties (Series) OP
- Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (T.V. Series) OP & ED
- Kemeko Deluxe! (T.V. Series) OP
- Mitsudomoe (Series) Both OP
- Moetan (T.V. Series) OP
- Nanana’s Buried Treasure (T.V. Series) ED
- Sakura Trick (T.V. Series) OP & ED
- Anohana (The Flower We Saw That Day) (Series) Naruko “Anaru” Anjō
- Cat Planet Cuties (Series) Manami Kinjō
- Good Luck Girl! (T.V. Series) Ranmaru Rindō
- Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (T.V. Series) Eina Tulle
- Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (T.V. Series) Nagi
- Kemeko Deluxe! (T.V. Series) Mei Mishima (MM)
- Mitsudomoe (T.V. Series) Hitoha Marui
- Moetan (T.V. Series) Sumi Kuroi
- Waiting in the Summer (Series) Ichika Takatsuki
Name: Bell Crystal
Personality: Confident, frustrated, and concerning
Role: Main character, has a crush on Noel, and works in the Santa Clause Section
Yuuki Kaji (Japanese)
- Brothers Conflict (Series) ED
- Ixion Saga DT (T.V. Series) ED
- Miracle Train (T.V. Series) OP
- Zakuro (T.V. Series) ED
- Attack on Titan (T.V. Series) Eren Jaeger
- Brothers Conflict (Series) Wataru
- C³ (T.V. Series) Haruaki Yachi
- The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat (T.V. Series) Yōto Yokodera
- High School DxD (Series) Issei Hyōdō
- Ixion Saga DT (T.V. Series) Variation
- Miracle Train (T.V. Series) Iku Shiodome
- Mitsudomoe (Series) Ichirouta Ogata
- Mysterious Girlfriend X (Series) as Kōhei Ueno
- Zakuro (T.V. Series) Ganryū Hanakiri
Name: Thomas Dow
Personality: Timid, quite, and clumsy
Role: Main character, has feelings for Mint, and works in the Reindeer section
Rie Kugimiya the Tsudere Queen (Japanese)
- Burn-Up Scramble (T.V. Series) ED
- Cosplay Complex (OAV)
- The Familiar of Zero (Serise) All ED
- Rizelmine (T.V. Series)
- Toradora! (T.V. Series) OP
- Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise (T.V. Series) ED
- Astarotte’s Toy (Series) Astarotte “Lotte” Ygvar
- Buso Renkin (T.V. Series) Victoria
- Busou Shinki (T.V. Series) Tsugaru “Santa Maria”
- Chance Pop Session (T.V. Series) Nao
- Cosplay Complex (OAV) Delmo
- Deltora Quest (T.V. Series) Neridah
- Fairy Musketeers (T.V. Series) as Ringo Kinoshita
- Fairy Tail (Series) Happy
- The Familiar of Zero (Series) Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière
- Figure 17 (T.V. Series) Mina Sawada
- G-On Riders (T.V. Series) as Riro
- Hayate the Combat Butler (Series) Nagi Sanzenin
- Kyousogiga (Series) as Koto
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (Series) Alisa Bannings
- Recorder and Randsell (Series) as Atsumi Miyagawa
- RIN – Daughters of Mnemosyne (T.V. Series) Mimi
- Rizelmine (T.V. Series) Rizel Iwaki
- Shakugan no Shana (Series) Shana the Enpatsu Shakugan no Uchite
- Toradora! (Series) Taiga Aisaka
- Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise (T.V. Series) Kurumi Hazuki/White Angel
Name: Rudolph III
Age: Battle Deer
Role: Santa’s Deer
Yūichi Karasuma (Japanese)
- Attack on Titan (T.V. Series) Boris Feulner
- Free! Eternal Summer (Series) Iwatobi Broadcasting Club Member
- Gundam Build Fighters (T.V. Series) Ralph Jackson
Name: Pedro Rondo
Personality: Moves his glasses, older brother, and gaurdian
Role: Supporting character, brother of Mint, and works in the Santa Division to ride sleighs
Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese)
- Gugure! Kokkuri-san (T.V. Series) OP
- Vie Durant (ONA) OP
- Zakuro (T.V. Series) ED
- Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (T.V. Series) Kyōya Hikami
- Anohana (The Flower We Saw That Day) (Series) Atsumu “Yukiatsu” Matsuyuki
- Chaika – The Coffin Princess (Series) Shin Acura
- Code Geass (Series) Suzaku Kururugi
- Cosplay Complex (OAV) Kousuke Tamiya
- Dog & Scissors (T.V. Series) Kazuhito Harumi
- Fairy Tail (Series) Sting Eucliffe
- The Familiar of Zero (Series) Guiche
- Gugure! Kokkuri-san (T.V. Series) Inugami
- Vie Durant (ONA) Di
- Zakuro (T.V. Series) as Kei Agemaki
Name: Nicolas White
Personality: Business man, strict, and Grrr don’t call me Daddy.
Role: Supporting character, Father of Noel, and higher management at Santa Company.
Hiroki Touchi (Japanese)
- Angel Beats! (T.V. Series) Char
- Chaika – The Coffin Princess (T.V. Series) Grant Lancia
- Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun (OAV) Crystal Bowie
- Mardock Scramble (Movies) Dr. Easter
- The Rolling Girls (T.V. Series) Tomomori Moritomo
- Scrapped Princess (T.V. Series) Luke Storm
- Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil (T.V. Series) Mitsuhisa Hachiya
The animation is smooth, alluring, and top notch. The characters designs properly scaled and properly tone to their age. I didn’t spot any false shadowing or any other animation error.
My one gripe though is how the reindeer are structured. When these animals are typically draw their slim in body structure and muscle tone, but here their drawn like moose or yak in structure and beefed up like Roah’s war horse from Fist of the North Star, and the background reindeer sound like the Wampa from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I will I’ve never seen this breed of deer up close and how their drawn/scaled could be more relatable to how the children seen these woodland kings, but it just stands out.
Animation Rating: 3.75/5 (B) A treat for the eyes.
The background music is whimsical as woodwinds and strings would play through the majority of the music as the occasional percussion ensures the intensity of the scene. It does well to stress what the situation is dealing with either a joyous occasion or a dire conflict.
A side from the Wampa sounding reindeer another strange choice for sound effect is a Pok’e ball pop sound can be heard as Thomas gets plucked out of a Santa’s bag of holding.
Sound Rating: 3.5/5(B) not bad for atmosphere.
Overall Production Rating = 3.63/5 (B)
Pros, Cons, and Other Thoughts:
- It’s a Christmas/Santa OVA that’s a direct one shot which there are few in the genre
- A good quality of animation
- Does not last forever
- Waited far too long for a release of this OVA
- Some thing before happened and it’s not clear like Noel’s parents having a divorce
- More wolfs
This OVA is rather enjoyable as it adds one more item to watch during Christmas. As Noel fight for the right to give everyone a great Christmas morning, those lame authoritative adults will tell them that they are too young to go footloose and take on adult duties of delivering presents and the true meaning of Christmas. This story is light hearted, does a good job to bring in the holiday spirit, and gave me an unexpected resolution to an event.
While the story takes place, the character at the beginning mention an event from the previous year. I’ve heard a rumor that this OVA is a sequel to the light novel while the picture book, which comes with the movie, takes place before Noel’s adventure. The art in the picture book made Mint and friends look like they belong in a Charlie Brown comic strip.
The architecture reminds me of the Finland with the buildings being log cabins and windmills, but I did not spot a cookie once and that makes me an un-jolly Santa. Also wolves are monsters. In one scene a “pack” of wolves are chasing one of the four. This scene stands out to me because during the howls the shot pans around the winter wilderness. This is where I think the audience is supposed to see the ferocious wolves run. On the other hand, it could just be that the scene is just showing that the wolves are nearby but at a distance away to show that the kid has time to run. With either option being said I’ll side with the movies decision, but it’s an awkward approach.
I got this from the first KickStarter campaign and the only snobby compliant I have is how dare they premiere the OVA at the Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) before sending me my copy. Pfft, it’s like they show it there in order to get polls from test audiences to make sure that the studio can make some touch ups on animation errors, story plot hole, or to see the product is enjoyable. How dare they make smart decisions, Grr!
*Pro’s, Con’s, and Other Thoughts Rating: 3.25/5 (C)
- Plot: 3/5 (C) It’s a generic story about the true meaning of Santa Company.
- Performance: 4/5 (B) With top tier voice actors involved and smooth animation this was pleasing to watch.
- Pace: 3.5/5 (B) It’s twenty-eight minutes long and feels like a twenty minutes to watch. Take it as you will.
- Characters: 3.5/5 (B) The characters are scamps who get into trouble to save a little girl’s Christmas.
- Production Quality: 3.63/5 (B) Animation: Smooth. Sound: For the occasion.
- Pro’s, Con’s, and other thoughts: 3.25/5 (C) Overall its enjoyable, but it felt that some back story was missing.
- Overall total: 3.48/5 (C) It did take too long for the release, but it is a good Christmas watch.
Note: Due to my own belief and further defining anime as a pop art, no rating will ever receive a 0, 1, or 5 (a Z, F, or A in my book). For this reason is that times will change as opinions. Anything can be far greater or worse than before. That’s just human triumph and error.
What was needed?
- The back story available either by translating the lite novel or a prequel OVA
- What happens during the rest of the year
- A sequal OVA
If you’re not offended by the Christmas holiday or keeping the Santa in Christmas, then most people should not have a problem with this OVA/Movie.
(… other than that I’m not sure?)
Clear Some Confusion:
What’s a Tonttus?
The Movie explains them as workers who earned their place at Santa Company.
The word itself originated from a Celtic mythical creature as the Finland subset of a Brownie.
What is a Celtic Brownie creature?
This will explain some confusion from Fantasia.
Brownies are sprites who love to help humans, but if angered they will destroy what the love or morph into a Bogie (Troll… hmm I think Roll’s name from Fantasia was supposed to be troll). Their diet is crème and bread (cake) laid out for them. They have can befriend animals especially bees. They can be sent away if another human looks at them, given human clothing, or baptized? So sort of like Dobby the House elf from Harry Potter.
What makes Tonttus different from Celtic Brownies?
They float around in human clothes and may bless a human with prosperity and wealth.
Thank you for reading once again. Please like, follow, bookmark, or share this article on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other social media as well as if you found this article enjoyable.
Remember to comment below to let me understand what you think about the article.
For other reviews related please click any bold blue titles below: