Ogy Anime Reviews: Momo: The Girl God of Death
Name: Momo: The Girl God of Death
- Ballad of a Shinigami
- Ballad of a Shinigami: Momo the Girl God of Death
- Shinigami no Ballad: Momo the Girl God of Death
Date Released: Spring, 03/02/2006
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Psychological, Romance, Supernatural, and Tragedy
Age Range: 8+
Total Episodes: 6
Runtime: 24 minutes per episode
Original Story by Keisuke Hasegawa (or K-Ske Hasegawa)
- Jii-chan Jet!!
- Mizutama Panic
Directed by Tomomi Mochizuki
– Other works:
- My Dear Marie (OAV)
- Princess Nine (T.V. Series)
- Zettai Shonen (T.V. Series)
Production: Pony Canyon
Animation Production: Ginga-ya & Group TAC
Sound Production: Jinnan Studio
Other Media Chronology:
- Light Novel: Written by Keisuke Hasegawa. Illustrated by Nanakusa. Published by ASCII Media Works. Imprint: Dengeki hp. U.S. Licensor: Seven Seas Entertainment . 2003 – 2009 12 volumes
- Manga: Written by: Keisuke Hasegawa. Illustrated by Asuka Izumi. Published by: Hakusensha. Magazine: LaLa & LaLa DX. U.S. Licensor: CMX Manga . 2005 – 2007 3 volumes
- T.V. Drama: Directed by: Kōtarō Terauchi. Studio: Tornado Film & SF Planning . 2007 12 Episodes
- Radio Program / Audio Drama: ???
Licensed by Maiden Japan.Beginning Story:
– Story Insight:
Momo, or Shinigami #A100-100, is on a mission to keep the souls that she has to reap at peace before taking them into the afterlife. With this she will temporarily enter the mortal’s life that the saddened soul has cared for to give them advice or the confidence to move on and continue to live their lives to the fullest.
Personality: Calm, helpful, and caring.
Role: Main character and helpful spiritual guide.
Jessica Boone (English)
- Azumanga Daioh (Series) as Chiyo Mihama
- Chrono Crusade (T.V. Series) as Azmaria Hendric
- Maburaho (T.V. Series) as Yuna Miyama
- Magikano (T.V. Series) as Ayumi Mamiya
- Nanaka 6/17 (T.V. Series) as Satsuki Arashiyama
- Princess Tutu (T.V. Series) as Rue or Princess Kraehe
Akiko Kobayashi (Japanese)
- Angel Tales (T.V. Series) as Tanuki no Midori
- Cookin’ Idol Ai! Mai! Main! (T.V. Series) as Misan
- Kakurenbo – Hide & Seek (Movie) as Suku
- Save Me! Lollipop (T.V. Series) as Zura
Personality: Twerp like and out spoken like a little brother.
Role: Main character and bratty assistant (familiar) to Momo.
Nancy Novotny (English)
- Azumanga Daioh (Series) as Koyomi Mizuhara or Yomi
- Madlax (T.V. Series) as Madlax
- Maburaho (T.V. Series) as Raika Nario
- Nanaka 6/17 (T.V. Series) as Chie Kazamatsuri & Kemiko
- Tamako Market (T.V. Series) as Hinako Kitashirakawa
- UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie (Series) as Hydra
Ai Shimizu (Japanese)
- Akiba-chan (T.V. Series) as Akiba-chan
- Cosplay Complex (OAV) as Athena Imai
- Rakugo Tennyo Oyui (T.V. Series) as Suzu Koishikawa
The animation quality can match today’s shows, but with this the DVD transfer every now and then will ridge up the character’s outline while there moving.
Animation Rating: 3.25/5 (C) Iffy DVD transfer.
The opening song “no one” and the closing song “White Messenger” are both performed by KOY and does an excellent job of setting up the tone of the main theme of this story dealing with the death of a loved one and the anxieties of these stresses. The BGMs matches this concept as well. This is important because as touchy of an issue as this is one wrong step and this could be offensive to a massive general audience.
Sound Rating: 3.75/5(B) Understanding.
Overall Production Rating = 3.5/5 (B)Pros, Cons, and Other Thoughts:
- This series of OVAs does understand it’s tone and delivers its premise in a light hearted manner
- The character’s emotions are written and delivered well
- It understands it’s demographic and makes it relatable
- Some episodes take a long time before Momo appears
- Some DVD transfer issues
- Sometimes the pace slows down due to the amount of information given to the viewer (Technically not a bad thing but it’s noticeable)
Between holiday festives of Halloween and Christmas is the turkey in the middle November. This series to me has a blend of both Halloween and Christmas in its spirit.
First off, let’s go over its release in North America. Why North America? Because that’s the country where I live. This is one of the few series that got it’s Light Novel, Manga, and Anime series released in this country. However for the light novel it only got two volumes released due to low sell; however, CMX did release all three volumes of the Manga. Sadly the Live Action series hasn’t officially made it over here.
Now on to the show…
I did enjoy my time watching this series. It was like a better version of Are You Afraid of the Dark with it telling tells of a shinigami encounters with the local junior high school students of Japan. With these students they have one common struggle, grief.
Her license has got her back.
The shinigami herself, Momo or Shinigami #A100-100, just has one goal which is to guide those who she has caused grief to or have a weak will to live into having a will to live life to the fullest. Another charater to compare her to is Sakaki From Azumanga Daioh!
Momo just judging how she is dressed turns out that she is not a Lolita character, but a young lady that wears very modest and respectable clothes who also reaps people of their souls. The red shoes might mean youthfulness. She doesn’t like to take away the lives that she must reap but with her guidance to those who are mortal her warm heartedness will embrace the viewer.
A possible Battle Field Combattler V reference?
A side from the DVD transfer issue, the only thing I’m lost with is before Momo appears the person will hear the jingle of small bells. I am not confident to say that its death’s calling (Hell’s Bells) or something culturally known in Japan. I have been trying to look up what this is, but failed to get results. I do wish to know if there is more of a meaning to these bells.
*Pro’s, Con’s, and Other Thoughts Rating: 3.75/5 (B)
- Plot: 3.75/5 (B)Each episode is a new story and is refreshing while two episodes have a subtle continuity.
- Performance: 3.5/5 (B) Enjoyable.
- Pace: 3/5 (C) Due to the amount of information each episode brings within its time period can be exhausting if the viewer decides to marathon this series.
- Characters: 4/5 (B) They’re relatable to its demographic and I can see Momo’s passion and emotional pain of the ones mourning.
- Production Quality: 3.5/5 (B) Animation: Questions DVD. Sound: Respectable.
- Pro’s, Con’s, and other thoughts: 3.75/5 (B) It delivers.
- Overall total: 3.58/5 (B) Take a second to relax and let Momo guide t a better out look on life.
Note: Due to my own belief and further defining anime as a pop art, no rating will ever receive a 0, 1, or 5 (a Z, F, or A in my book). For this reason is that times will change as opinions. Anything can be far greater or worse than before. That’s just human triumph and error.
- A full release of the Light Novel
- A release of the Live Action show
- An anthology anime movie
8+ Age Range, Both GendersSimilars:
• Are You Afraid of the Dark (Not by tone)
• Ano Hana
• Ghost Hunt (Not by tone)
• Boogie Pop Phantom (Not by tone)
• It’s a Wonderful Life (MARY!!! MARY!!! MARY!!!)
Please let me know what you think in the comments below.