New Anime Brew: Magimoji Rurumo
Date Released: Summer, 07/09/2014
Genre: Supernatural, Comedy, Magical, Romance
Age Range: 13+ Shōnen
Total Episodes: 12
Runtime: 24 minutes.
Original Story by Wataru Watanabe
– Other work from Wataru Watanabe:
• Yowamushi Pedal (Series)
Directed by Chikara Sakurai (First Directive)
Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama
– Other works from Satoshi Motoyama:
• Demon King Daimao (T.V. Series)
• Desert Punk (T.V. Series)
• Haganai (Series)
• Maid Sama (T.V. Series)
• Oreimo (Series)
• Princess Tutu (T.V. Series)
• WATAMOTE (T.V. Series)
Production: J.C. Staff
Other Media Chronology:
- Original Manga: Written by: Wataru Watanabe. Published by: Kodansha. Magazine: Monthly Shōnen Sirius. Oct. 2007 – Feb. 2011 7 volumes 1st Arc
- Magimoji Rurumo: Makai-hen: Written by: Wataru Watanabe. Published by: Kodansha. Magazine: Monthly Shōnen Sirius. Apr. 2011 – Mar. 2013 5 volumes 2nd Arc
- Magimoji Rurumo: Hōkago no Mahō Chugakusei: Written by: Wataru Watanabe. Published by: Kodansha. Magazine: Monthly Shōnen Sirius. Jul. 2013 – Ongoing 3rd Arc
Licensed by … .
Magimojo Rurumo is currently streaming on Crunchy Roll.
– Story insight:
Follow the romance between Rurumo Maji Mojiruka and Kōta Shibaki. As Rurumo undergoes her Witch Training with her magical familiar cat named Chiro, she must overcome the challenges of everyday life such as house chore cleaning, high school cafeteria cooking, and worst of all walking on her own two feet.
To complete her training Kōta must make a contract with Rurumo and wish through his 666 wish tickets. Unknown to Rurumo if Kōta wishes through is tickets he will die. Also depending on the life changing severity of the wish, the wish could burn through multiple tickets.
How did they meet? Well Kōta tries out a summon from his high school occult club for laughs and it turns out it works.
How did he make a contract? By wishing for a female’s (Rurumo’s) panties to initiate the contract and he does give the dainty brief back to save Rurumo from being imprisoned in the spirit world. Luckily because of this deed his punishment from Rurumo was lessened from before.
But the biggest question remains. How will his dirty media survive his female classmates and mother?
Note: There plenty of great characters in this anime, but I’m just going to highlight the main characters. Also it’s more fun to find out about these characters as you watch.
Name: Rurumo Maji Mojiruka
Age: 315 years old
Personality: A sweet kuu-dere who is clumsy like a small child and not the wisest at performing tasks or traveling but always aims to do better. She also has a fear of frogs.
Role: Main Character, witch-in-training, and the main love interest of Kōta Shibaki
Suzuko Mimori (Japanese)
• Baby Princess 3D Paradise 0 [Love] Opening
• Majimoji Rurumo Opening
• Outbreak Company Opening
• GJ Club (T.V. Series)as Shion Sumeragi
• Lagrange – The Flower of Rin-ne (Series) as Michi Kondō & Sachi Nogami
• Momo Kyun Sword (T.V. Series) as Suika
• Outbreak Company (T.V. Series) as Myuseru Foaran
Name: Kōta Shibaki
Age: 14 – 15
Personality: Pervert, energetic, and kind hearted
Role: Main character, contractor of a witch, and main love interest of Rurumo
Makoto Takahashi (Japanese)
• From the New World (T.V. Series) as Bakenezumi
Age Mentality: Teenaged
Personality: Similar to Koala Su (from the Love Hina Series) but not an inventor
Role: Main Character and Rurumo’s Cat Familiar with a power
Misato Fukuen (Japanese)
• Haganai NEXT (T.V. Series) Opening and Ending
• Strike Witches (Series) many Ending theme songs
• Ultimate Girls (T.V. Series) Ending
• Animal Crossing (Movie) as Buke or Rosie
• Haganai & Haganai NEXT (T.V. Series) as Rika Shiguma
• Pretear (T.V. Series) as Hajime
• Strike Witches (Series) as Yoshika Miyafuji
• Ultimate Girls (T.V. Series) as Silk Koharuno
• Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san (T.V. Series) as Momonyan
The animation is done quite well. It does use some CG techniques, but one scene’s background for 5-8 seconds stood out horribly. Other than that, this is not bad coming from this recent summer.
Animation Rating: 3.5/5 (B) Glows of a golden experience.
I love what music that they used and where it was placed. The opening theme, I Want to Convey This, With All My Might! or Seiippai, Tsutaetai! by Suzuko Mimori, is a blend of Japanese pop and whimsy that fits the excitement and tone of the story. Also the ending theme, Our Chronostasis or Futari no Chronostasis, is a soothing and inspiring melody that makes me have a warm fuzzy feeling inside and also motivated as it’s set to an animation of our clumsy witch-in-training tries to ride a bike as to develop her balance so one day she can fly her broom like so many sorceresses before her did.
Sound Rating: 4/5(B) Magical.
Overall Production Rating = 3.75/5 (B)
• All characters do get some development
• I did get plenty of laughs while watching this series
• Found this series to be enjoyable
• Not too focused on a plot that could be more intense than what was given
• Not that much magic was preformed
• Kyōko Izumi needs more lines and more character development (it’s too subtle)
I enjoyed this series though out. The comedy was presented well. The characters were their age as their immaturities show the good and bad sides of themselves. The episode pace flows quite smooth, but the only exception to me is episode 6. It does point out an important detail that will solve a plot hole about the tickets. My favorite episodes are 5, 9, and through 9 till the end which is 12.
The witch designs remind me of Magic User’s Club mostly and Sugar Sugar Rune at times.
In the show, Rurumo can be seen tripping over anything even if the anything is nothing. I think I might have figured out her problem. Since the tips of her shoes are pointed up, the fashioned slope is more likely to cause her to become off balanced.
The relationship between the two main characters is sort of similar to Raven and Beast Boy from the animated Teen Titans. Just make both of them goof balls.
With that being said the romance, magic, and comedy does hook me into this show, as well as, the many characters getting a chance to get development causing the show to only get more fun episode after episode.
Also for those thinking that this is an ecchi and/or fan service show filled with nothing but nudie bootie, you are 100% totally wrong. Even though Kōta deals tasteful articles with his fellow male class mates, the magazine and DVD covers shown are just as bad as seeing a Halloween costume or swim suite catalog. Besides he always gets his come-up-ends for being a cheeky pervert. Please keep in mind if a show has fan service or not does not make a show; however, I find it idiotic to shun a show because it shows ecchi and/or fan service.
*Pro’s, Con’s, and Other Thoughts Rating: 3.75/5 (B)
- Plot: 3/5 (C) It misses a chance to go into dire seriousness of Rurumo’s training with Kōta’s dilemma which is a main focus point.
- Performance: 3.5/5 (B) Entertaining.
- Pace: 3.5/5 (B) Paced as needed.
- Characters: 3.5/5 (B) With every one’s quirky personality, character development, and slap stick interactions, the cast of characters made the show even more entertaining.
- Production Quality: 3.75/5 (B) Animation: Glowing. Sound: Magical.
- Pro’s, Con’s, and other thoughts: 3.75/5 (B) Enjoyable.
- Overall total: 3.5/5 (B) Give it a watch.
Note: Due to my own belief and further defining anime as a pop art, no rating will ever receive a 0, 1, or 5 (a Z, F, or A in my book). For this reason is that times will change as opinions. Anything can be far greater or worse than before. That’s just human triumph and error.
- A second season of this show needs to be made or at least be put into production.
- A licencor to pick this title up and quickly announce a release date.
- The Manga released in the U.S.
Dose contain some touchy harassment.
• Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat (HENNEKO)
• Heaven’s Lost Property
• The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Please let me know what you think in the comments below.