New Anime Brew: Dragon Ball Z – Battle of Gods
We don’t have much time for that because this is in theaters for two more days at the time of this post. I’m going to assume, as many times as it’s been aired on TV, this series is just as well known as Mickey Mouse.
The only chronology that needs to be known is that this takes place after the Majin Boo Saga and follows the anniversary special with Vegeta’s younger brother. Also keep in mind that this is before pan was born.
So luckily for me there is no Trunks fighting the Freddy Mercury Warrior (Otokosuki) going on here.
To know who is involved, I can’t beat this, here is the official link of the list of characters and American English voice actor roll call: http://dragonballz.com/battleofgods/?utm_source=Funimation&utm_medium=Spotlight&utm_campaign=DBZ_BOGBeginning Story:
NOTE: Sorry but no insight this time.
– Movie beginning overview:
The screen soars through the stars and planets in space as we hear the Supreme Kai’s warning of a new danger that has been awakened. We join Goku on King Kai’s planet as he is enjoying a jog. Soon he notices King Kai worrying over something. After Goku bugs the king, the two get into King Kai’s car to talk. King Kai tells Goku that Beerus the God of Destruction has awoken.
We cut over into some spectrum of this dimension as Whis (Who looks like Riff Raff in alien form from the Rocky Horror Picture Show blended with Zarbon) wakes up Beerus. Whis informs Beerus that the Saiyan planet has been destroyed, Frieza has died, Prince Vegeta lives, and Goku. Beerus now interested goes to confirm his hunch of a Super Saiyan God that he had in a dream.
At Capsule Corp., Bulma celebrates her birthday celebration with her friends and Z-fighters. She has a catering service, performance stage,small rides, a Bingo game with the complete set of Dragon Balls as a prize, and a pool!!! While Bulma tends to her guests, the now young Pilaf, Shou, and Mai have snuck into Bulma’s home and found the bingo prizes. After doing some graffiti, they found the dragon balls and the fusion duo, Trunks and Goten. Bulma soon finds the five and the trio runs away. Bulma sends them outside to play as she does not really know the situation that the three are pursuing. The trio regroups as Mai shows that she just swiped the four star dragon ball. Trunks big talks to Goten to say that Mai is his girl friend and they hold hands. The white lie spreads to everyone, and Bulma cheerfully asks Trunks to introduce her. From here a slight crush forms between Mai and Trunks which works. I want to see more of this relationship.
Before Mai reveals that she has the missing ball, Beerus appears before the group with Vegeta being the first one to greet him. Beerus is a ticking time bomb, but enjoys the birthday party. Well then, what can possibly go wrong?Production quality:
-Animation: Clear, top notch, and easy on the eyes. The CGI isn’t too shabby.
Animation Rating: 3.5/5 (B)
-Sound: Just like in the show, the music adventurous and full of energy. Please keep in mind that the Japanese opening of Dragon Ball Z, Cha-La Head-Cha-La by Hironobu Kageyama, will be played not the American made opening, Rock the Dragon by Shuki Levy and Kussa Mahehi.
Sound Rating: 3.5/5(B)
Overall Production Rating = 3.5/5 (B)Pros, Cons, and Other Thoughts:
- Bingo, Vegeta, and pudding.
- Vegeta character development from the end of the Majin Buu Saga is still intact.
- Senbei Norimaki a.k.a. (and from) Dr. Slump makes a cameo as a background farmer, but I’m not positive that the same voice actor used in Dragon Ball was the same (The Penguin Village episodes).
- Trunk X Mai
- It’s Dragon Ball Z as I remembered it.
- The 4th wall jokes and humor played well.
- Uncut: I can’t recall Vegeta did not saying the word shit in this movie. In the uncut show that was half of the swears he said.
- Where’s Launch? I thought she was tracking
hooked up withTein; however, she did appear in the anniversary special.
- Where’s Bra/Bulla? I thought she was older than soon to be Pan, but Bra/Bulla could just be taller.
- Why wasn’t Kid Buu mentioned? He alone gave the Kais tremendous amounts of trouble.
- Ultimate/Mystic Gohan form is still confusing to explain.
- Why does Super Saiyan God form look like the Kaio-ken with flames applied to that Super Saiyan form in the Lord Slug movie?
- That awkward close up shot of a police woman complaining about Capsule Corp not using a proper permit again. This scene reminds me of the korean rip-off movie Super Kid 1996 with it’s numerous close up shots. Then again, this scene could be a Japanese voice actor highlight that was not translated well over here.
- Trunks wearing overalls like Gokdari from Super Kid 1996, but better sported. (Invalid bash)
I really enjoyed this movie and I am on the edge of my seat for more. It’s still in theaters for two or three more days this week depending on your location. I did not get confused by the power level reasoning and this new deity class in the fights. It does not have a bad end like the fish jump. At the theater I was in (the Carmike 12 in Decatur, AL) 135/191 seats were sold from the opening night which is amazing for a small town and I hope more will come. Thank you, Fox and Funimation for teaming up to make this happen.
Wait a minute that dirty diamond prize is from Dragon Ball.
I want to forget Dragon Ball Evolution and it was not Super Kid 1996 bad in no way!!!
*Pro’s, Con’s, and Other Thoughts Rating: 3.5/5 (B)Overall ratings:
- Plot: 3/5 (C) Fun, but Goku didn’t step in sooner.
- Performance: 3.5/5 (B) Good Dub.
- Pace: 4/5 (B) Fun and want it on DVD ASAP.
- Characters: 3.5/5 (B) Done well.
- Production Quality: 3.5/5 (B) Animation: Smooth. Sound: Sparking!!!
- Pro’s, Con’s, and other thoughts: 3.5/5 (B) Watch it.
- Overall total: 3.5/5 (B) Worth it.
Note: Due to my own belief and further defining anime as a pop art, no rating will ever receive a 0, 1, or 5 (a Z, F, or A in my book). For this reason is that times will change as opinions. Anything can be far greater or worse than before. That’s just human triumph and error.What was needed?
- A pre-showing of the anniversary special ( Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! ) that way people won’t be confused about Vegeta’s brother, Tarble, being mentioned and other subtle details.
- Please refer to questions in the con’s section.
The majority of Shonen Jump.
Super Kid (1996)
Update: Thank you PanzerFaust for pointing out a mistake I’ve made.